Wednesday, June 25, 2008

English Class in Naha


While Johanna has been gone in California, Joel and I have taken over her class in Naha, where we help a Japanese guy named Sunny run his class, teaching everyday conversational English to other Japanese people. It has been pretty cool getting to know some of these people over the last couple of weeks, but last week and last night God did an amazing thing!

Last week we were on the subject of karaoke, and they were interested in what songs I knew from the States. I could not think of anything but Dean Martin for some reason. So they made me stand up and sing "That Amore". Funny. But then Sunny, since he knows that we are Christians, he asked if I could sing a hymn. A hymn! Well I stood up, a little nervous, but I sang "崇めます" Agame masu, or "I Worship You, Almighty God" It was so cool. So that was like us cracking open the door.

But yesterday night, we waited around a little afterwards to talk to some of the people, and I found out that three of the people go to Kinser Chapel on base each Sunday for the Christian service, and that conversation turned to why we were here. I told them that "私は宣教師です." "I am a missionary." They were all shocked. They asked Joel and I if we would like to go out for a drink, and they said they would pay, so we were there! haha....They took us to Kokusai Street, just like a block away, and we sat down at a Coffee Shop and just talked some more. They were really interested in coming to our church and seeing what we are all about. They were questioning us why we were coming to Bible College here instead all the ones in the States, and we told them because the schooling is the same, but the ministry in Japan is far much more needed. We told them how only 95% of Japan has heard of the name of Jesus, and how only 1% has a relationship with Him, and we told them we were here to help the Lord change those numbers. It was just a blessing of a night to share with them. Please pray for them that they would get saved, and live their lives for the Lord. I cant wait to see them again or here on Sunday night like some said they would! Pray!

2 comments:

Natsuki said...

すごい!ほんとに it's the Love you share with the people here. I will pray...

George Sedota said...

I will pray too!